On November 20, 2014, President Obama issued an Executive Order to shield some undocumented individuals living in the United States who are the parent of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident. The Order allows parents to request deferred action and employment authorization if they:
1) Have continuous residence in the United States since January 1, 2010;
2) Are the parents of a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident born on or before November 20, 2014;
3) Were physically present in the United States on November 20, 2014 , and at the time of making the request;
4) Had no legal status as of November 20, 2014;
5) Are not an enforcement priority for removal from the United States; and
6) Present no other factors that, in the exercise of discretion, makes the grant of deferred action inappropriate.
Applicants who are granted deferred action will be given work authorization for the length of their deferment.